Decorating & Furniture/Furniture Wood Color

Question
Dear Jenny,

I have a couple of livingroom lounge chairs that I just love. They are extra wide and armless, tan suede and mahogany. The seat cushion is 16" to 17" off the floor.

I want to get a couple of round or oval end tables to go with them, but height is an issue. Trying to find tables 18" to 24" high and with a small top, perhaps 12" to 14" diameter.

Finally found just the perfect end tables (aka plant stands) on eBay. Problem is they are walnut.

Is it tacky to mix walnut color end tables with mahogany color chairs? I would know if I had them next to each other, but I have to decide without seeing, as I'm purchasing on eBay.

Any thoughts on whether this color combo would work, or where I could buy such small tables in mahogany? Thanks for any ideas.

Best wishes,
Terence

Answer
If they're the size and shape you want, don't be stopped by color.  Mixing wood is perfectly normal and adds some character and texture to a room.  If everything "matched" it would tend to be boring.

Jenny

PS:  You can always purchase glass to top them if you need a larger surface area too!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik