Decorating & Furniture/Furniture arrangement in long family room

I live in a typical ranch home with a very long rectangular family room.  As you walk in - there is  a long wall on your right.  Directly across from that wall is a fire place and perpendicular to the wall (with a door opening) is a built in wall unit.  We are not sure what furniture options we have for moving things around since the TV sits on the built in unit.  We are thinking of getting a plasma tv, but not sure where to put/hang it and how reaarange furniture.  Can you suggest some options for us as far as arrnagement of furniture.  Right now we have a sofa on the long wall, and two chairs in the room - one on either side of fireplace facing the built in for tv viewing.  The dimensions of the room are about 20 x 12.  

If your furniture runs lengthwise in the room (along the length rather than the width) that's probably your best option.  Your constant fight in this space will be the fact that you have two focal points; the fireplace and the television.  

One option (if you opt for a plasma) is to hang the tv above the fireplace.  A caution here is to have a professional installer do this, for stability as well as for allowing enough space between the heat source and the plasma set.  

One other option is to create two distinct seating areas on either end of the space; one for reading/tv viewing and the other for conversation around the fireplace.  Your couch would be the divider between the two areas.  

This is a tough situation and a lot depends on the size of your furniture.  It may take some "rearranging" time to try pieces in different areas.  Best of luck.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology