Decorating & Furniture/Furniture color

Question
I just moved into a new home and we have a large living room that is open to the kitchen area and it has cathedral ceilings. My kitchen has green counter tops, black appliances, and the cabinets are a light colored wood. My table is also light colored wood. My living room has a black marble fireplace and so I am trying to decide what color ocassional and end end tables to get. Should I keep it light to match the kitchen table or should I go with black to match the rest of the decor in the living room? I also have large black mirror on a wall by the front door that I am going to put a black table under so should that be a reason to go all black. Any suggestions?

Amber

Answer
Amber,

Having the black table and mirror is a great way to cross pollinate the colors from the kitchen.  You do not have to limit yourself to black tables, or even the same wood as your kitchen.  What I would suggest is that you keep the "style" of the tables in a similar vein as your other furnishings, and if you like the lighter wood, then use it.
Things that coordinate are often much better than the "matchy" themes some try to create.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik