Decorating & Furniture/Game Room Decorating

I'm in the process of decorating my game room in the basement.  The room is about 14x30.  I have painted the walls a muted soft gold/yellow.  There is a dark wood wainscotting all along the bottom and the floors are a laminate wood look.  My question is since this room is open to the rest of the basement by french doors with glass mullions, do I need to keep the colors and decor in the same style or is it okay to throw a few more colors into this room and have fun with it.  I have always wanted my house to flow easily with color so I am having trouble with this one.  Also,  what ideas do you have for the walls?  I want the room to say fun, but I also want it to be a little on the sophisticated side.  My husband wants to display model cars, sports stuff, etc.  Is this okay if I don't have this decor in the rest of my basment? I want both children and adults to enjoy this room.  Can you help?

Thanks for the questions.  You can change the mood of the adjoining space by changing the style but keeping the color somewhat the same.  In other words, find a complimentary color to the muted soft gold/yellow and carry that into the next space.  

If you're looking for a more sophisticated look, consider using a pale blue on the walls.  Add some chocolate brown into the mix and you'll have style and sophistication.  

Remember to start and stop color at a natural point.  Sounds as though this would be on the other side of the french doors.  

By all means, have some fun in the space.  You can be sophisticated and fun at the same time by coordinating your colors from space to space.  Throw some blue accessories (shadow boxes for model cars?) into the game end of the space, and add some soft gold/yellow to the other end of the space.  By cross-pollinating the color, you've accomplished coordinating the two areas, even though their contents and purposes are totally different.

Good luck!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology