Decorating & Furniture/Glass Table Top

I am considering purchasing two occasional tables for my living room, which are significantly reduced in price because they are missing the glass tops.  I have priced out replacing them with 1/2" thick glass, and it runs about $100 each, but is CONSIDERABLY more expensive if I want tempered glass.  The glass people have told me that it takes quite a bit of force to break a glass of that thickness.  Do you know whether most tops 1/2" thick are tempered?  What would you do?

Thanks so much for your help!

I'd take the bargain and run with it -- unless you have small children in the house!  At the thickness you describe, the glass is pretty sturdy, but tempering has more to do with how a piece of glass breaks (shatters versus large sharp pieces).  

Small children might clang a toy on top or climb atop the glass and that's a dangerous situation.  If you do have small children around your house, get a quote for plexi-glass.

Thanks for writing and for your questions.

Jenny Wojcik

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology