Decorating & Furniture/Great Room Co-ordination Help

Question
Newly constructed home. Along the back of house is the kitchen, eating area (with sliding glass doors) and great room. Kitchen/eating area has 9' ceilings, golden oak cabinetry/table and black appliances. This opens into 17'x17' great room that has a sloping ceiling starting at 13' against the back of the house to 18' on far side. Centered on the back wall (parallel to sliding glass door) is a black fireplace with white trim and a decorative white mantel thing that goes to the ceiling. Flanking the fireplace are a pair of rectangular 34" x 9' windows.

All trim is white. All paint is builder style neutral and the carpets are neutral. Leather sofa, 2 chairs in "black cherry" - deep red with marbled black. The centerpiece of the room is a Fanimation Palisade fan in black metal and light colored wooden blades. Almost matches the oak in the kitchen. The fan has lights with fitters that are a tiffany style glass in red and cream.

We have lots of glass and lots of light (back of house faces west). I've put suntex screens on the outide of the house to cut down the solar gain so that is not a big issue.

I'd like to get wood blinds for the tall windows in the great room. Thinking about matching the wood in the kitchen cabinets instead of white. It is an option to get cloth tape with the blinds and I think it could look great or be a disaster. Thinking about red, black or russet red.

Other topic is general color coordination. I like the start that I have going but can I add add red? I think a judicious use of red with some gold and black will really work but I am worried abour our leather color with red.

I'd also like to carry a little red into the kitchen and try to bring in some yellow.

I'd like your opinion on choice of blinds and general color choices. Traditionally I am a yellow/earth tone person but this house is leading me away from that.

Thanks for your opinions! (and your time)

Answer
Hello Tim,
I like the sound of the matching wood blinds using the kitchen cabinetry.  I would select the black cloth tape as its easy to bring a bit of black into the color scheme of a space.  Also, adding a bold punch of color like red can really add sophistication to a space.  If you add the red accent, pick up the color using accessories and stoneware in the kitchen. The earthy yellows and golds naturally complement the red, so use it generously as it contrasts beautifully with the reds...select deep jewel tone reds, not fire engine!

Good Luck!
Alicia Valair, CID, CKD, Allied Member ASID

Decorating & Furniture