Decorating & Furniture/Great Room Design Problem

Question
Jenny,
My wife and I recently bought a house and have been having a design problem with our great room.  The large room is great for entertaining with the kitchen open to the living area.  Seems like everyone ends up in the kitchen at a party.  
Anyway, our problem is this...  There are two major focal points in the room and we can't design toward one without straying away from the other.  And, the front door is unfortunately placed between the two of them...  The points are a large front window and a fireplace.  Right now neither of them are being used as focal points in the room.  We'd like to find a way to organize our funiture so that they can both be used without losing our TV from the mix.  I have uploaded some photos of the room, as well as a very ameture design sketch that I quickly did with my computers paintbrush.  
Cut and paste the link below into your URL and you should be able to see them.  Also, if you need to view a larger version of any pic, you can click the full screen link at the bottom right of the page.

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=redhed14&password=72

I hope to hear from you soon!  Thanks!!!!!

Derek and Sara Fortin

Answer
After looking at your photos, as well as the sketch, your best solution is to build in the area between the fireplace (right hand side as you are facing the fireplace) and the corner, putting your television on that built in.  Ideally, you should build in both sides, keeping the fireplace centered.  Then orient your furniture as follows:  couch against the wall opposite the fireplace, loveseat in front of/underneath the large window and leave the space open between the ottoman and table to the kitchen opening.  

The actual dilemma is that you have a natural focal point (the fireplace) in competition with the television rather than the large window.  Treat the windowed wall as a wall in planning your furniture arrangements.  By building in, you lose no floor space, you gain some much needed storage space and you solve your problem of defining a focal point.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik