Decorating & Furniture/Grey Carpet and Blue Countertops

I just recently was approved for my first apartment, and was informed by the management that my apartment has blue countertops and gray furniture. I was really hoping for something more neutral and am curious as to what colors I should throw in to give it a more modern, stylish look? I am buying furniture from scratch, so any advice you can provide will be helpful. Thank you! :)  

Thanks for writing.

The grey carpet is pretty neutral and can be very contemporary. You might try black or brown, such as a leather sofa or chair in furniture. Go ahead and bring the blue in from your countertops if they are noticable from the living room. The blue can be your accent color found in pillows, pottery, ect... Another great accent color with the grey would be red. What ever you pick, make sure to bring it into three areas to give the space consistancy.

As far as furniture colors to stay aways from with the grey walls: creams, taupe, and bright yellow (mustard yellow would look nice with the grey).

Also simple white can look nice with the grey and will give the room a more vintage feel. Try it in window treatments and or furniture.

Good luck.

Decorating & Furniture

Benjamin Cottrell

I can answer any questions on interior design including color, room arrangment, floor and space planning, lighting, fabric, furniture, and where to buy home decorating products.

Residential design and Architecture as well as landscape design, visual merchandising, and sales.

College graduate