Decorating & Furniture/HELP.. don't know what color to use.

I would like to decorate my room in a tropical theme by painting a palm tree on the wall behind my bed. my problem is that my furniture is a seafoam green color and i have no idea what color to paint the rest of the walls in my room. i have looked at everything from dark blues to light blues, teals, dark greens, light greens, and even all shades of pink. i am 17 and i want my room to be fun and bright. i have also played around with the idea of sponging my walls or doing stripes anything will work but i am tired of looking at plain white walls.

Great question.  Congrats on being tired of white walls (me too...).  

How about using "Toasty Grey" by Glidden for the walls.  It's a sandy, taupe color and would be very similar to sand on a beach or a dune where palm trees would be.  Palm trees are darker brown (trunk) with dark green leaves, and "rings" or circles every few inches on the trunk.  If you use the taupe as your base, then you can add in your palms, your sky (in blue of course) and remember that at sunset, shades of pink, light and dark blue, teal and even pale green appear on the horizon.  

Sketch it out on paper first, then go for it.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology