Decorating & Furniture/Hard to be designer

Question
JoAnne,
I am into landscape design, I think I charge too little, I should charge at least $2,500 for small project, and I should do some advertising, what do you think?

-------------------------
Followup To
Question -
I want to pursue my dream, so I start my own design service, I enjoy doing design work, but connect with right clients is very hard.  Most of people do not respect my design work, no matter what I say, they only concern about price, some people cheated me, some ignored me.  I only have few pleasant experience, the rest are all nightmares.  I spend lots of time and energy search for clients, extra long meeting, study, research… the rewards is so little.  I am a sensitive person, I cannot be super sales.  

After few months of working alone, I totally lose energy, I think about working for company again, the life is much simple there.   

What is wrong when I work for myself? I believe I always think positive. Can you analyze me and give me direction?

Answer -
Hi JJ, Please tell me more.  How old are you, what is your educational background, what is the style you love to do most?  Also, what services are your providing and how are you charging?  Please tell me more and I will try to help.

Happy Decorating
"The Queen of Decorating"
JoAnne Lenart-Weary
www.onedaydecorating.com
www.interiorredesgintraining.com
www.oddaa.com  

Answer
Good morning JJ, The key is to build a name for yourself in your area.  You can do this by developing a marketing strategy.  I always tell my students to work 12 weeks at a time...so week one may be an ad...week two, put lettering on your vehicle....week three, speaking in front of garden clubs, etc.  Also, approach your local TV stations and ask if they would be interested in you providing tips to their viewers on one of the local news programs.  This will help to establish you as an expert in your industry.  Also, you need to believe that you are an expert!  The confidence will spill over into your interactions with your clients.  Also, stay on top of trends, attend trade shows, get industry magazines.  You might also consider developing yourself as the expert in a niche market i.e. you may be the expert in Victorian gardens or water features..whatever it may be, promote yourself as the expert.  If there is anything else I can do to help, feel free to contact me.  

Best of luck to you,
"The Queen of Decorating"
JoAnne Lenart-Weary
www.onedaydecorating.com

Decorating & Furniture

JoAnne Lenart-Weary