Decorating & Furniture/Help for a hideous bathroom!

The question is only about color. I don't want the olive green to be a focal point. What colors can I use in terms of paint, shower curtain, rugs, towels, etc. that will take attention away from the ugly green?

Followup To

Question -
I have a house that was built in the 1970s. The bathtub and toilet are an ugly olive green color. I can't afford to replace them, so what colors can I use on the walls, floor, and accessories to detract attention from the green? (By the way, the sink is a light beige color.)

Answer -
Hello Michelle,
The professional response below was given in more detail than the question asked above.  As I do with all inquiries, I give great consideration to the question before answering.  

The first priority in every project in my experience is budget.  Is there a budget for new tile?  New flooring?  Accessories? It sounded as though there were...or perhaps I was in error?  

Good luck on your project!
Alicia Valair, CID, CKD, Allied Member ASID

Original Answer:

Well...first I'd make a decision on the budget.  Since replacing these major items is not an option, what are you able to do financially?

Here's what I'd do:
1.  Replace the walls and flooring with new inexpensive tile.   Choose a color palette first.  Medium cream, deep tan and olive green with black accents would be absolutely dramatic!  

Tile from floor to ceiling and make sure your tile design is in keeping with your overall "design theme".

2.  Replace all bathroom fixtures, with a satin nickel finish.  Your faucet, towel bars, etc.

3.  Use the color palette above and find "glass mosaic tile" to add sophistication.  Install this expensive tile in special areas like behind the tub for maximum affect.

Have Fun!

Hello again Michelle!
Okay, about color...the olive green tub and toilet.  I was originally thinking of using the color of the sink, the light beige as a highlight color.  That along with black to add drama.'s the latest:

I've been out shopping these last few days and have seen lots of STRIPED towels and beautiful ACCENT towels which could tone down the olive green color. I've been to about 5 stores and made a point to check out the bath section...even Target!

I can't give you the exact colors as your shopping will determine what's available.  Look at all of the bed and bath stores, including department stores like Penney's and Sears.  I really think the olive can be toned down and made to look updated for the fall/winter season.

Let me know what you find!  Have fun shopping!

Decorating & Furniture

Whole house interior space planning and decorating; kitchen layout, and design trends; residential themed environments; selecting furnishings and accessories for your lifestyle.

12 years experience as an interior designer, FIDER graduate and business owner for 5 years. Speciality area: residential interior designer, NKBA certified kitchen designer, and home office designer

Homes of Color magazine, Las Vegas Life magazine, Tucson Home and Garden magazine.

B.A. Interior Design, Marymount University, Arlington, VA