Decorating & Furniture/Help with paint color choice.

Question
I am purchasing a house that although it is nicely decorated, I'm not fond of the color choices in a couple rooms along with the fact it may not match my furniture. The living room is 18 x 14 and has a medium to dark color hardwood floor. The color currently on the wall, in my opinion, is best described as mustard. The trim is white & on one wall, in the middle, is a brick fireplace with a white mantle. My sectional sofa varies between 2 different shades of beige. My entertainment center is black. The mustard yellow is a bit much for me - I painted my apartment living room a creamy mocha coffee color (the actual color name is Sphinx from Wal-Mart) and I love the color. My girlfriend likes the brighter color of the mustard yellow, but is willing to compromise. What would you suggest as a happy medium along with matching the furniture? The next question is regarding the formal dining room. It is 11 x 11 & the table has a dark stain finish. Currently, there is a deep pink from chair rail to floor. Chair rail to ceiling is a mauve wallpaper that closely matches the paint below, but also has wheat colored flower arrangements in it. The carpet is a light beige color. What colors might go well in this room? Thanks.

Answer
I'd vote for taupe in the living room.  My favorite is Toasty Grey from Glidden.  Using two coats,you will have a wonderful neutral that will coordinate with your furniture and your floors.  As for the dining room, I'd opt to remove the wallpaper and repaint top and bottom in the same color. I'd opt for a cool shade of green - sage, celery - to enhance the dark wood stained table and to coordinate between the living and dining rooms.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik