Decorating & Furniture/High Gloss Paint Nightmare

I just moved into an apartment in which the owners have painted all the walls in a high gloss cream color--both the living room and the bedroom. I'm not allowed to paint the walls. Do you have an fixes for making the room seem softer and less harsh. It's a basement apartment, and all the walls have crown molding and chair rail in the a nice wood. But the high gloss paint seems a bit harsh and cold. What can I do on a budget?

It's not the glossiness of the paint, it's the fact that it's white and sterile.  My best recommendation is that you paint the walls in your favorite color.  Pick your favorite, then find a medium to light version of it and paint your walls.  When you surround yourself with color, especially one you love, you will see how cheery the place can be.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology