Decorating & Furniture/Home Decorating Theme

We have a great ranch that needs a great deal of updating cosmetically.  I'm torn between two styles/themes.  

I love fresh looks and pastels, for my baseboards, chair rails, and moldings to be white, and my favorite colors are light blues and yellows.  I also love the seaside, cottage, lighthouse, seashells, etc. theme.  

On the other hand, I love town and country, villages, coca cola, vintage labels, landscapes, thomas kincade, warren kimble, patriotic, houses, etc. look.  I know that these involve richer colors than pastels, but not necessarily dark colors.  

We are planning to recarpet the entire house in a beige/cream/tan sort of color for neutrality.  

I don't think a blending of the two themes would work well, and even if they did, I'm not sure I would like that.  I'm a very symmetrical and neat kind of person.  

Can you help find some kind of compromise or help to make a decision as to which theme to go with?  

Thanks so much!
Tracy Reynolds

Dear Tracy Reynolds,
     Sounds like you like alot of different styles. Going through all of them I have decided that an Americana Nautical theme would look best. I am not nessarily saying to do your whole house this way but using it as a start off point. If you want the house to flow nicely but not overdone then I would have red with other colors or red by itself in different shades. I would also do this with blue, and then having another room that is all red white and blue. Here are some images that might be what you like and include the red , white, and blue.

I hope this will help you in deciding what to do. Good Luck

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book