Decorating & Furniture/Home Depot premade/unfinished cabinets

Hi Karen,
It was great to hear you worked with Home Depot.  I'm wanting to use the unfinished cabinets for either the bathroom or kitchen to use in a home office.  I'd like to know how to go about ording the unfinished pieces as I'd like to stain them with a cherry stain.  I'd also like to know what your thoughts about cutting the kick plate at the bottoms to lower them to desktop height so that I could use the precut formica tops at Home Depot or Lowes.  I can find the Birch Unfinished kitchen lowers at Lowes but not Home Depot.  Any suggestions?

The Home Depot I worked at didn't carry unfinished cabinets, but Lowe's did. You can cut down the toekicks on the cabinets to make them lower, and then you could use the instock countertops. Mills Pride at Home Depot does make some desk cabinets, that are special order. You could pull them out from the wall to a 24inch depth and then still be able to use instock countertops. The space between the wall and the desk cabinet could be filled in with a filler strip.  You could set wall cabinets on the floor but they only have a 12inch depth and would be 30inches tall. Check out the price of a self edge special order countertop, you may be able to get a reasonable price on that option if you end up doing a unit with a depth other than 24inches.
You can just leave a space under the countertop to sit at or order a pencil drawer from a cabinet company. Mills Pride at Home Depot has reasonably priced cabinets as well as American Woodmark, (available at Lowe's or Home Depot). Best of luck with your project.  

Decorating & Furniture

Karen Timpone-Hockley

I am a kitchen expert on, Bob and I answer questions on kitchen design, cabinet construction, countertops and their applications, wallpapering and paint questions. I am proficient in kitchen design, wallpapering, painting, and general decorating. You can find me on by going to advice and resources, message boards, and experts. I answer questions on the message boards and you can view my answers there.

I was a decorator and then became a kitchen designer. I was instrumental in opening 3 Lowe's kitchen departments, in St. Louis, Ohio, and Pa. and designed kitchens for Home Depot. In 2003, I gave a tool-time for women seminar, seminar at the Pa. Home Builder's Show on designing kitchens, and tv spots on home repair. I am now designing and opening a Kitchen Showroom for Kohl Building Products in Mechanicsburg, Pa. R>
Publications article on painting kitchen cabinets