Decorating & Furniture/Home decor

I am redoing my small condo on a budget and I need lots of help!! Whenever I look at a store catalog or model home I think, I want my house to look like that. It's always clean and fresh and minimally designed. I love the tropical/african look that often accompanies stays at nice hotels but I don't know where to start. We want to get new carpet, countertops, and all new decorations. We have no theme or color ideas, everything is mish/mash. Up until now we couldn't afford it so I know first things first, but where should I start? Any helpful ideas would be great!

You've made a good start by finding magazines and photos of rooms you like.  Start clipping or copying them and make a folder or binder to house them in.  Once you've collected a few, review them looking specifically at the "one thing" (or more than one) that appeals to you most about that photo.  It may be the carpet, the furniture or just one piece of furniture, the accessories, the drapes or just the overall look.  Whatever it is, take note of it and then consider how you can create that look, piece by piece to fit into your home and your budget.

Then put on your bargain shopper hat and shop.  It could be flea markets/tag sales/garage sales or discount stores like TJMaxx, Marshall's, Target, Sam's CLub etc., but you can find good looking, quality stuff at less than top dollar.  

Please take special note of things in the photo like background, wall color, architectural details, flooring etc.  Those pieces lay the backdrop for everything.  

Once you've decided on style and go shopping, write back if you need help arranging or accessorizing.  

Best regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology