Decorating & Furniture/Home design

Question
Hi Jenny,
I hope you can help!! My husband and I purchased a small condo a year ago and are still breaking it in. I have a few areas of concern. I don't know what to do with the wall leading upstairs. Some people put pictures, but I don't like that look with pictures going up the wall at an angle with the stairs...any ideas? Also, the space under the stairs is wasted. Right now, we have  all of our pet supplies under there and it just looks wrong. Lastly, the ceiling is vaulted in the living room so the space above our fireplace/mantle is very tall. What should go there? A large picture? I also don't know what to put on the mantle. I have pictures now but it looks a little cluttered. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!!

Answer
Emily,

For the wall leading up the stairs, I'd either do a set of 3 prints (that coordinate) or I'd leave it bare.  As for the space underneath the stairs, using it for storage is fine, but it should be enclosed storage not open.  If you plan to leave it open, then place a decorative item there such as a vase with flowers, sticks, leaves etc.  

High ceilings are great for adding visual space, but cause the problem you describe on walls that top mantles.  My best suggestion is to get one very large painting or print for that wall so that it doesn't look so out of scale.  

Hope this helps you.  Good luck with making your condo your own personal space.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik