Decorating & Furniture/House Blahs

Hi Rachel,

This is a really cool service. :)

We recently bought a house in April. It was built in 1920. The interior has been well-maintained by the previous owners, but it's a bit outdated. You can see shots of it here:

My taste is classical/antique. I like a warm, cozy and at the same time sophisticated look and feel. I love dark colors and things like old books and wrought iron.

We're cursed right now with awful wallpaper... it'll be a huge project to get that taken down, but we will eventually. Right now things look a little 'blah', especially the kitchen - way too much brown and neutral!

The bathroom (not pictured), is on 'sage green' overload. The tilework (halfway up the wall) is sage, as is the floor, the tub, sink and toilet! I painted the walls cream and added a cream curtain to the shower and cream window curtains, but it just looks so bland.  

Any ideas on how I can spice up the place a bit and add some richness and character? It's a small home, so I'd like it to have some serious character.

Thank you!!

Dear Sue,
  Love the house. The wallpaper will be a hassle getting it removed. It isnt so bad, I would try to keep it and add color to the rooms with other things. Here are your images redone on Photoshop. They arent the greatest craftsmanship but I think it gives you idea of what you can do.

I see what you mean about to much brown. You need new window treatment and a couple of rugs to add color and distract from all the brown. I would like to see the bathroom, please send an image and i will try to see what I can do.

I hope this helps and if this is not what you wanted please send more information to

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book