Decorating & Furniture/Interior Design Colours

We are having a home built and our builder is willing to paint the interior of the house using our choice of 3 colours for free.  Because we are on a budget we can't afford to have more than that right now.  Any suggestions on colour palet with such a limited selection?

Actually, I'd recommend staying with 3 colors throughout the house.  Which colors?  You need to select your favorites.  Let me just give you an example of how 3 colors (plus white) work together.  Color 1 = Taupe; Color 2 = Navy Blue; Color 3 = Cranberry; Color 4 = Bright white.  

Color 4 = All baseboards, window casings, moldings etc.

Living room:  Walls and ceiling Color 1; furniture and accessories in navy blue with cranberry throw pillows.

Dining room:  Navy walls; accessories in cranberry and taupe.

Kitchen:  Cranberry walls; accessories in navy and taupe.

Master Bedroom:  Cranberry walls; accessories in navy and taupe.

Bedroom 2:  Navy walls; accessories in cranberry and taupe
Bedroom 3:  Taupe walls; accessories in cranberry and navy.

Bath:  Cranberry walls; accessories in navy and taupe.

You get the idea.  And you can always add white (or off-white if you prefer) to the mix in any or all of the rooms.  

If you need help with specific colors, write back and tell me what your likes and dislikes are and I will try to help you further.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology