Decorating & Furniture/Interior colors

Question
Good morning,  Our house is an open split-level house.  The outer walls in the great room are a very very pale blue, and the accented walls are a barn-like red.  I love the colors and think they work well together.  Our kitchen has green walls and a purplish-black ceiling... which with a skylight brought the ceiling down to a normal sized feel.  Before, with the white ceilings it felt like we were in the bottom of a silo.
Now, my question is this, in the big open area that includes an office, a den, and a dining room, with up to 36 foot ceilings what color should we paint the ceiling?  It still has the feel of being in the bottom of a silo, and I don't like that feeling.  Too afraid to go too dark we painted a darker white.... Can you give me ideas on how to make this feel more cozy?
Many thanks,
Amy Smith-Boden

Answer
Select a darker shade of one of your wall colors and use that for your ceiling.  Not only will it eliminate that feeling of "silo", it will coordinate nicely with your decor.  If you don't want to do that, choose a medium to dark shade of camel.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik