Decorating & Furniture/Interior painting

Question
I am having a hard time trying to pick a paint color for my walls.  I have blue carpet, blue-gray tile, a beige sofa.  Will a beige or light tan, paint go with what i have?  Or what color should i chose?  Do i need to have the paint go with my carpet and tile, or do i chose a color to go with the furniture?  

Answer
Hi Kim,

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  Here's a quick color guide.  Wall colors can be any color you like/want and do not have to "match" anything.  It's best if your wall color "coordinates" rather than matches.  

In your situation, you have blue and beige.  A good coordinating color is yellow if you like pastel shades, and perhaps a nutmeg (brownish yellow)or gold if you prefer richer tones.  

Don't misunderstand me here.  You can surely match your wall color to your carpet color if you like a "monochromatic" (all one color) look.  It's a bit more sophisticated than a yellow and blue combination, but it's all based on your good tastes and how you want your room to look.  

In your situation, I'd avoid a beige or off-white/white wall color.  There will be too much contrast between the blue carpet and the white wall.  

Hope this helps you.  Remember, selecting your favorite colors for your home assures that you will be happy with the result.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik