Decorating & Furniture/Introducing color in living room

Hello, Jenny,
    My living room is almost monochromatic.  Walls are warm white.
    Sectional sofa is dark brown.
    Floor tiles are dark brown.
    Some old pieces: buffet, end tables, bureau, dining table, table benches and piano are painted the same color as the walls.
    Roll-top desk, two small tables, round claw-foot tble, rocking chair, steamer trunk & dining chairs are dark oak.  Pillows are creamy white and white with creamy checks.  I have one cream runner that's 3'x11'.
    Sounds boring as heck, huh?  Actually, it's very relaxing, but I need some color.  I love golds and russet reds.
    Where do I start?
With thanks and good thoughts,

My best suggestion is to paint the walls something other than white.  Warm white or not, white isn't "warm" when it's paired with chocolate/dark brown - it's in direct contrast.  I'd suggest a beautiful turquoise blue for the walls -- pale, not dark or teal.  

If you have to keep the walls white and just want to add an accent color to break up the brown and the white (warm white) then go with a vibrant red - even cranberry or something leaning toward fuscia!  You can add some gold as well - in  throw pillows or a throw for the couch.  And as I try to remember to tell everyone, every great looking room needs a piece of something black in it.  It can be a wrought iron pair of candlesticks, but nothing anchors a decor like black.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology