Decorating & Furniture/Keeping a Spacious Look

Question
I would like to add a bar in my living room for entertaining during the holidays. The bar is about 59 inches long and two feet deep. My problem is that I already have a six person dining room table there along with a love seat and two end tables and the room is only 23x18. Will the bar make the room look too small or crowded ? The room has vaulted ceilings. Would swapping a chair for a love seat help ?

Thank you

Answer
While everyone's home looks a bit less spacious during the holidays, my thinking is that adding this large an object to your space will make the room look overcrowded and cramped.  

If you switch a chair for a love seat, it may indeed help, but remember that in order to "tend" the bar, you'll have to have it at least 17 inches from the wall, so you're virtually losing another foot and a half.

The thing that you have going for you is the vaulted ceiling which does give you some additional visual space.  

Try a couple of configurations on paper.  Get some "graph" or quadraline paper and lay out your space on it.  To keep things simple and easy, let one "block" equal a foot.  Then cut out the dimensions of your furniture and the bar, and place them around the room.  

Best of luck.  Thanks for writing.
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik