Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen

Hi Jenny:
Loved your suggestions, I feel like we are on the same page.  One more bump in the road though, I forgot to tell you that we have white appliances.  We need to replace the dishwasher and are thinking of stainless.   If and when we need to replace the others, stainless would be our choice.  How bad will it look with a stainless dishwasher by the new stainless sink and faucet, then, one the other two sides of the room we would have a white refrig, stove and micro?  Also, what kind/color of window treatment above my sink and doorwall in the breakfast nook should I consider?  Appreciate your time and suggestions . . . .
Thank you,
The text above is a follow-up to ...

Help . . .! We are updating our kitchen (it is 12 years old), which has whiewash (beigey)  cabinets (we are not changing those).  We currently have a mauve laminate countertop and want to replace it with another laminate(we will be moving in another 3 years and want to put granite in the new house).  We are thinking of a granite look in the dk browns, black, taupe colors and replacing the sink (which is now blush color Swanstone)with a stainless steel.  Do you think the countertop colors would look good with our cabinets?  If so, what color would you put on the walls and what kind of hardware(drawer pulls) would you suggest for the cabinets?  It was considering a darker metal hardware (oiled bronze?) against the lighter cabinets. But, would that clash with the stainless steel sink and faucet? The kitchen opens into our family room which has mission furniture and the colors are taupes, greens and eggplant. I would appreciate any and all suggestions, we want to give the kitchen a warmer feel and a completely new look.
Hi Sharon,

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  Updating the kitchen will certainly increase your resale value, and you will undoubtedly get whatever money you put into the update back.  Since you're going laminate (and I like the dark browns, black and taupe shades with the cabinet), consider using draw pulls rather than knobs and keep them in the stainless steel tone rather than darker.  It's a more updated look.  As for paint, I would probably opt for a taupe - something darker than your cabinets and lighter than your new countertop.  My favorite is Toasty Grey by Glidden, and it's available at Home Depot or your local Glidden retailer.  

To all this, I'd add some of the adjoining color (green, eggplant etc.) by way of plants, accessories and the like.  That will "pull" the two spaces together visually and make it much more appealing.  

Good luck with your remodel!

PS:  Make sure the sink is as deep as possible and that the faucet hardware is as up to date as you can afford.  People love deep sinks that they can put large pots in, and good, durable faucet hardware is critical in an update.

Thanks!  Good to know we're in tune.  First of all, choose your wall color and then incorporate fabric that ties in all the surrounding colors (accessories, floors, etc.)  Again, you're pulling two separate spaces together visually by using the colors over and over.  I'd probably stick with something tailored over the sink - no flounces or ruffles.  As for your appliances, they don't have to "match".  If you're concerned, look into the magnetic "plates/panels" for your refrigerator and stove.  They come in stainless.  This may be cost prohibitive, and if so, I'd simply incorporate some additional stainless steel "something" on the "white side" of the room.  It could be something as simple as a large vase stuffed full of stainless kitchen utensils.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology