Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen Backsplash

Thank you for this service!  My question:  In my newly built, cottage style (small cape)house, I've installed Tan/Brown (aka Chestnut)granite kitchen counters.  The cabinets (to the ceiling) are pale cream (light yellow) with a light burnt umber (cinnamon) glaze.  The glaze is just enough to outline the arch shape and panel.  One wall of the kitchen is a built-in hutch, stained cinnamon, with seeded glass doors.  The hardwood floors are stained Cherry (Minwax).  What is your opinion of a tin backsplash vs. tile?  The tin would be the filler tin made by American Tin Ceiling Company (no pattern) in Antique Copper Vein.  I'm thinking of tin b/c it is less costly than tile AND I'm having trouble finding an appropriate tile -- don't want to make the backsplash the focal point as I have a beautiful shelf with corbels over the stove and that beautiful hutch!  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks for writing and for your question.  I love the idea of a tin backsplash, particularly given your description of the rest of your space.  Tile is great because it's easy to clean and lasts forever, but personal design taste and budget are big factors here.  I say go for it.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology