Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen Decor

Hi Karen! I have a question that is probably silly.  I would like begin buying pieces to re-decorate my kitchen in. Would have you have ideas for a modern and easy-to-find theme?  I currently have apples (BORING) and am ready for a change.  I recently bought a sleek blue microwave and also some blue and cream colored rugs, and that is all I have so far.  I dont necessarily have to do with blue.  Any ideas?

Modern design is definately in. Stainless steel is definately the look along with some black thrown in. Sleek stainless steel handles or knobs, and blue can definately be used, depending on the shade. Look thru magazines and find pictures of rooms you like. European kitchens are definately designed in the modern style. One website would be SieMatic, it's a kitchen company that makes modern cabinets, (European). You could also try the website Good luck with your project.  

Decorating & Furniture

Karen Timpone-Hockley

I am a kitchen expert on, Bob and I answer questions on kitchen design, cabinet construction, countertops and their applications, wallpapering and paint questions. I am proficient in kitchen design, wallpapering, painting, and general decorating. You can find me on by going to advice and resources, message boards, and experts. I answer questions on the message boards and you can view my answers there.

I was a decorator and then became a kitchen designer. I was instrumental in opening 3 Lowe's kitchen departments, in St. Louis, Ohio, and Pa. and designed kitchens for Home Depot. In 2003, I gave a tool-time for women seminar, seminar at the Pa. Home Builder's Show on designing kitchens, and tv spots on home repair. I am now designing and opening a Kitchen Showroom for Kohl Building Products in Mechanicsburg, Pa. R>
Publications article on painting kitchen cabinets