Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen Lighting

Question
We are currently remodeling our kitchen (31'x 12').  Our recessed lighting fixtures and door hardware are brushed nickel.  The family room (15'x 25'), which can be seen from all views of the kitchen, has black wrought iron window hardware as well as other various accessories.  Which room should I coordinate our kitchen mini-pendants and table lighting with in order to have a cohesive look to the decor?  Both rooms have coordinating wood and paint colors (the same, but different shades/hues).  Also, for the table lighting, should we use up-lighting or down-lighting?  It will be the only appreciable light fixture in that section of the room (approximately 12'x 12').  Thanks!

Answer
Hi Angela,

I'd recommend the black wrought iron unless your kitchen has a lot of black in it (if so, go with nickel).  Pulling the color from one room to the next is preferable.

For the table, use the fixture with the most appeal to you.  This space is not for "task" purposes, it's for mood.  If you like candlelit dinners, opt for an up-lighted fixture which will throw beautiful shadows on your ceiling.  If you prefer to have stronger light on your table surface, use down-lighting and put it on a dimmer switch so you can adjust the degree of light.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik