Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen Theme

Hi Jenny,

My husband and I just recently remodeled our kitchen. We have tahiti sand (swanstone) counter tops that has less than a half an inch trim along the outer band and the backsplash that is done is purple sage (looks almost black, deep purple with burgandy and grey specks). Here is the website of different colors

Our ceramic floor is done in gold dust

I want to do an Italian theme that incorporates grapes, wine, and herbs & spices.

What would be the best approach in decorating. I have no clue what to do and where to start. I would like some ideas about countertop and above cabinet decorating along with wall hangings. I hope that I gave you a good description. Please help I have no idea what I am doing. I definately don't have a decoraters touch

Thanks in advance

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  It sounds as though you're doing ok with your remodeling project!  You're obviously too hard on yourself.  

Working with the colors you have - wheat, gold, aubergine - you are well on your way to having an Italian feeling.  I would visit Bed, Bath & Beyond (or their website of the same name) to look at their collections of Italian bottles, placemats, wallhangings etc.  The olive oil bottles are functional as well as decorative, and would be lovely placed next to your stove.  There are rugs, placemats, linens for the table and cutting boards in the same motif.

As for the soffit area, I would look for small prints and/or relief type wall art to achieve an Italian and/or herb garden feel.  You may want to start your own herb garden, particularly if you have enough counter space and/or a window ledge.  Using decorative pots that match your decor, start with the more simple to grow plants like basil, sage and/or rosemary.

Wine bottles, wine racks etc. are always welcome in the kitchen, and incorporate well into this theme.  Check out what BB & B has to offer in the kitchen section.  I think you'll be inspired!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology