Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen Wall Paint Color?

Question
I am at a loss over what color to paint my kitchen walls.  I have very light colored wood cabinets and black granite countertops (with brown/tan colored specks in it). I also have stainless appliances.  The kitchen is a good size and is situated in between the living room which is a coffee color and the dining room which is burgundy.   It's in the back of the house.  The front of the house (foyer, hall way, etc) is a sand color.  I would say my decorating style is contemporary - I like things to be simple, clean-looking - I really like the earth tones but the colors I have been thinking for the kitchen are: olive green, bluish-grey, a butter color (very pale yellow)or a golden mustard yellow color (more like a deeper yellow-brownish).  What do you think of one of these?  I was even thinking of an accent wall - I have french doors (white) against one wall that leads into the dining room - maybe painting this a different color all together?  As you can see, I am completely unsure what to do - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answer
Hi Donna. Thanks for your question.  Since your cabinets are light and your countertops are dark, I'd recommend that you avoid a pale or light shade of any color for the walls, particularly the yellows because your cabinets will visually "go away".  There is a lot of contrast between the cabinet color and the countertop, so I'd opt for a mid-range shade of your favorite color.  The butter color is too pale, but the golden mustard yellow "may" be ok.  The olive green would work, as would the bluish-grey (again if it's not pale).  

Since you have this luscious coffee color in the living room and the yummy burgundy in the dining room, I would consider using these two colors in the kitchen to tie it all together.  Creating a focal point on one wall (perhaps the one with the french doors) use the one color, and on the walls surrounding the cabinets use the other.  

One other option is to combine the burgundy (in the cabinet area) and add your olive green to the other walls.  You've then tied everything together, but have also added a third color to the mix.  Since red and green are color opposites, their pairing works very well.  This will also set off your cabinets and tie them into the dark countertop.  

Hope this didn't confuse you more.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik