Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen cabinets: paint or stain?

I just bought a house with new maple cabinets.  Unfortunately, they are too pale for me, and I want to go with an espresso color.  I am worried about having them stained -- the quality of the wood does not seem that good, and I'm worried it could even be partly laminate.  Do you think painting them a dark espresso brown would be an easier approach, or would that not look nearly as good as stain?  I am not doing this myself, but my contractor seemed reluctant to try to stain them.  Advice?  And do you know of good espresso paint or stain options (if they decide they can sand/stain them after all).  

If the cabinets are wood, they should be stained rather than painted.  MinWax rub on wood stain is my favorite, and you'll need to look at the samples in the store to determine how dark you really want them to be.  Remember, staining is a rub on, wipe off process for best results.  

If the cabinets are not made of wood, then paint is your best choice.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology