Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen colors w/ wood

Hi, I am repainting my kitchen and can't seem to find the right color, I have dark wood cabinets with light wood counters,which I really love, I really do not want white, it just doesn't seem right to me, but I'm not sure which colors would go good with the wood. any advice would be greatly appretiated.

Hi Amy,

The world of color is at your disposal.  With dark wood cabinets and lighter wood counters, you can select your favorite color and use for the walls.  White is not a good choice because there would be much too much contrast between the cabinetry and the walls.  

Think about your favorite color.  If it's yellow, use a creamy, buttery shade; if it's blue, opt for a medium to light slate shade; if you prefer greens, lean toward the medium to light shades of celery/sage.  

If you surround yourself in colors that you like, you'll never be disappointed.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology