Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen colors

Question
I just bought a 1955 2 bedroom bungalow with the tiniest kitchen I have ever seen.  It measures no more than 8 x 8.  The kitchen cabinets currently are painted burgundy.  There is no room for any furniture in this space.  What colors and decorating ideas might you suggest that would open this tiny space and make it a place in which I wouldn't mind spending time preparing meals?

Answer
If you want to paint the cabinets, paint them either white or off-white enamel.  Select a medium shade of your favorite color -- the one that you love most, wear most, are most attracted to -- and paint your walls that color.  If you like yellow, that's always a winner in a kitchen.  It enlivens the space without closing it in.  Another great neutral is taupe -- it's earthy and friendly, and white, black, etc. go very well with it.

If you love blue, use a sky blue shade or even a touch darker.  By painting the cabinets a lighter color than the walls, the walls will visually recede, giving you more "visual" space.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik