Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen colors

I just bought a 1955 2 bedroom bungalow with the tiniest kitchen I have ever seen.  It measures no more than 8 x 8.  The kitchen cabinets currently are painted burgundy.  There is no room for any furniture in this space.  What colors and decorating ideas might you suggest that would open this tiny space and make it a place in which I wouldn't mind spending time preparing meals?

If you want to paint the cabinets, paint them either white or off-white enamel.  Select a medium shade of your favorite color -- the one that you love most, wear most, are most attracted to -- and paint your walls that color.  If you like yellow, that's always a winner in a kitchen.  It enlivens the space without closing it in.  Another great neutral is taupe -- it's earthy and friendly, and white, black, etc. go very well with it.

If you love blue, use a sky blue shade or even a touch darker.  By painting the cabinets a lighter color than the walls, the walls will visually recede, giving you more "visual" space.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology