Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen with dark green counters

I have a nice small to medium size kitchen (12x12) it has nice light coming in through windows above the cabinets on the south wall and another window over the sink on the west wall.  There is natural light oak floors, white cabinets made from some sort of laminate that has a country look to it, meaning it has beveled edges and inset detail so I don't want to paint them. I could change the dark green knobs to something else)   The problem is the dark green speckled counters these are new also and I can't replace.  What color can I paint the walls that would give this kitchen some interest?

Since you are dealing with green and white, you may want to consider "some" shade of red.  Before you freak out, remember that red is the color opposite of green and therefore works well in combination.  You could choose a purple, pink, a pale cranberry, a soft shade of melon (like pale terra cotta) or you could create a more monochromatic feel by using a green that coordinates with your counter top.  You may find that the new sage, celery/celedon or even khacki green will work.   

If all else eludes you, consider using a taupe, but make it a warm "more brown than grey" shade.  

PS:  Whatever you do, accessorize with touches of some shade of red.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology