Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen flooring that goes with Knotty Pine.

Hi Jenny, I have a fairly large kitchen area, 476 sq ft. (house built in 1955-ranch style but also looks cottage style) which also includes a dining area and mud room area. The walls and cabinets in this area are knotty pine (yellow gold color) and a red brick fireplace wall. The counter tops are Sile Stone in a mahogony color, new 8x6 ceramic tiles on back splash that are matte marble look in a muted mix of cream, brown, gold with silver/grey veining. My appliances are stainless steel and my lighting is a combination of brushed nickel and white pendent lights and brushed nickel flexible track lights. My dining table is a large cherry wood mission style. Antique hard rock maple china hutch and a black and stainless steel top rolling kitchen cart. I want to redo the flooring throughout this area but am not sure what to do. I am thinking of a wood flooring and wondering if a mid  to dark tone cherry would look good with the knotty pine. It is a high traffic area with five entrance ways in to it. It faces south and is pretty dark in the winter time. Current flooring is indoor/outdoor carpeting in a light grey blue color. The current flooring seems to suck up a lot of light as well as a pain to keep clean. Could you give me an opinion on what I could do please? Thank you.

Thanks for giving me the detailed information about the kitchen area.  It truly helps when I can visualize your space from the description.  

A wood flooring is a great idea for the space.  My thought is to consider a mahagany wood tone which would coordinate with everything that you have.  While I realize that's dark, it will "ground" (excuse the pun)the color combination and will also bring out the mahagany you already have in the room.  

If you don't care for hardwood's upkeep (although I don't think it's that bad) you could consider a wood laminate in a mahagany tone.  I have a wood laminate by Shaw (the carpet people) in my kitchen and great room, and I have never regretted it.  It's easy to maintain, doesn't scratch easily -- it takes a LOT to scratch it -- and it always shines.  

Hope this gives you some food for thought.  I like the idea of cherry, but unless you get a fairly dark tone, you may not be happy with it and the knotty pine together.   

Check out all your options by visiting your local flooring retailer.  Pull some samples of everything that strikes your fancy, and view them in the space.  You'll know what you like and what you don't.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology