Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen painting & oak cabinets

I have just bought a house that has all oak cabinets in the kitchen (as well as oak molding along the ceilings), but am wondering if the oak look is dated...and if so, can they be painted?  If I left the oak cabinets natural, can you suggest a color that would look good with oak?

If you want to paint the oak cabinets, I have an article on painting cabinets on Go to homeowners, advice and resourses, and articles by designers. You could also glaze the cabinets if you leave them natural. Kraftmaid makes a chickory glaze, that is a pretty darker glaze on oak. There are many glaze colors to choose from. Good luck
I'm still selling oak cabinets in alot of stain colors.  

Decorating & Furniture

Karen Timpone-Hockley

I am a kitchen expert on, Bob and I answer questions on kitchen design, cabinet construction, countertops and their applications, wallpapering and paint questions. I am proficient in kitchen design, wallpapering, painting, and general decorating. You can find me on by going to advice and resources, message boards, and experts. I answer questions on the message boards and you can view my answers there.

I was a decorator and then became a kitchen designer. I was instrumental in opening 3 Lowe's kitchen departments, in St. Louis, Ohio, and Pa. and designed kitchens for Home Depot. In 2003, I gave a tool-time for women seminar, seminar at the Pa. Home Builder's Show on designing kitchens, and tv spots on home repair. I am now designing and opening a Kitchen Showroom for Kohl Building Products in Mechanicsburg, Pa. R>
Publications article on painting kitchen cabinets