Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen table-?

Question
Rachel:
The area in the kitchen, for the kitchen table measure: 7'6" wide x  9'6" long.  It just my husband and I, except holidays when I need to sit 7-8 people.The overflo from the dining room. I'm lost in thinking what table I should purchase. The room is open in the length areas. The one width area has a island on one side and a wall on the other side. Any thoughts you can give me would be deeply appreciated.

Joyce

Answer
Dear Joyce,
    It is hard to answer this question without seeing your space. From the info you have given me I came up with the idea that you could purchase a table that is oval in shape to maximize space and includes a leaf that would extend the table 5'. The width would need to be around 3'-6". This will seat 6 people comfortably. Since the table has rounded edges you could fit up to 8 normal size people. Having chairs that are not to wide will help in maximizing space as well. When closed it will fit 4 people and this would be more comfortable for just the two of you and would be about 44" inches depending on what table you purchase. Check out this image for an example, it is on the bottom left of the page.
http://www.kitchenkaboodle.com/fall04/catalogpage.cfm?pageid=5

If you do decide to purchase a table with a leaf than I would store the leaf under the bed or another safe area. Bring it outside during sunny days for awhile so the color will match. Hope this information helps, and good luck.

If you have anymore questions please email me at rminteriordecor@yahoo.com

Rachel Mallon
http://rmdesignco.com

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID