Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen table-?

The area in the kitchen, for the kitchen table measure: 7'6" wide x  9'6" long.  It just my husband and I, except holidays when I need to sit 7-8 people.The overflo from the dining room. I'm lost in thinking what table I should purchase. The room is open in the length areas. The one width area has a island on one side and a wall on the other side. Any thoughts you can give me would be deeply appreciated.

Dear Joyce,
    It is hard to answer this question without seeing your space. From the info you have given me I came up with the idea that you could purchase a table that is oval in shape to maximize space and includes a leaf that would extend the table 5'. The width would need to be around 3'-6". This will seat 6 people comfortably. Since the table has rounded edges you could fit up to 8 normal size people. Having chairs that are not to wide will help in maximizing space as well. When closed it will fit 4 people and this would be more comfortable for just the two of you and would be about 44" inches depending on what table you purchase. Check out this image for an example, it is on the bottom left of the page.

If you do decide to purchase a table with a leaf than I would store the leaf under the bed or another safe area. Bring it outside during sunny days for awhile so the color will match. Hope this information helps, and good luck.

If you have anymore questions please email me at

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book