Decorating & Furniture/Knotty Pine Bedroom Walls

Question
When I was in high school in the 60's, my dad put what has become beautiful honey-colored pine panelling in my bedroom at my request.  I still live in our family home (3rd generation).  My bedroom is still one of my favorite rooms in which to be.  For years I used plaids and simple designs for curtains and my bed.  I'm tired of this and would like some ideas for making it a more feminine room.  I have furniture which isn't a set.  I'm more eclectic in my taste mixture of antique desk, maple dresser, light green iron bed which I'm willing to paint, and a fireplace with shelves built in above.  The floor is pine.  The room measures about 15 x 10.5.  There is a closet on one wall.  There are three doors (not "normal" sizes) and two windows.  It is a corner room.  The house was built about 1700.  I hope this is not too much information.  Thanks for your help.

Answer
Thanks for writing.  The info you gave me is terrific.  It helps me to understand your situation and also gives me some direction as far as what you like and what you don't.  Good job.  

If you like the panels, keep them.  And I agree that all things needn't match.  In order to create a more feminine feel to the room consider switching from lighter colors to darker ones and from plaids and simple designs to a more tailored approach.  

Add some florals - either in bed linens or draperies, and encompass all the colors that you love.  If you leave your bed done in the green paint, then consider adding some purples and reds to the mix.  Coordinate the same colors in either a pin-stripe or a geometric print and you'll have lots of interest and spunk in the room.  

Use the green as a "color" for the room; add either pinks or purples (medium to dark in color rather than pastel) and some yellow.  Dress your bed and then top it with some decorative pillows.  Splurge on these and get just two or three really yummy feeling ones like satiny or silky fabrics.  Add some candles to your bedside, and you'll be sitting and sleeping pretty.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik