I am planning on painting my living room and kitchen. The problem is that they are just open and the walls run together. All of them are currently white. I have a fire place in my living room. My cabinets are maple. My living room furniture is a khaki color and cherry coffee table, end tables and entertainment center. I also have silver accents. Can you please give me ideas on decorating and painting.

Unless you have a natural starting point and stopping point (like a corner) you need to continue the paint in both areas.  

Consider your favorite colors.  If you want a cool, clean look, consider either a blue or a green.  Popular today is sky blues, paired with dark browns.  It would certainly work with your current furniture's color scheme.  Paint blue, accent the furniture with dark brown and blue pillows or throws.  You can also bring in your accent color via rugs, curtains, drapes etc.  If you like green more than blue, consider a shade of moss green or celery.  Again, add an earth tone as an accent.  You may want to consider a rich cranberry for accents with the pale green.

If warmth is what you're after, you can use shades of taupe to camel, and accent with a cool color (blue, green etc.)  Think of fall colors and that's "warm".

Hope this gives you some ideas.

PS:  Thanks for writing!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology