Decorating & Furniture/Laminate flooring

I am about to floor my bedroom with red-stained oak laminate flooring, however I have birch furniture. Is it okay to mix and match woods or will this look stupid?  

Thanks for the question.  The answer is simple - if you like the look of mixing woods, then it will not look stupid.  The red-stained oak will be naturally darker than your birch furniture, and will last a lot longer.  

If you are the type person who wants everything to "match", then you won't be happy with this combination.  If, on the other hand, you are the type person who is more eclectic and free-spirited, who likes a more homey appearance, you'll love it.

Bottom line, there is no rule about this.  I personally like to mix woods within a room and within a home.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology