Decorating & Furniture/Large Bay Window

I have a large window (11' wide by 5' high)in the middle of our living room, which is 12.5' deep and 19' long. I need help with a window covering since that room gets afternoon sun and really heats up the houes. Here's a bit about the room...It's on the front of our house. We don't use it as our everyday family room. It faces the street. The window is bowed but the wall is not. At the bottom of the window is the "seat" but you really can't turn it into a true window seat because you would be about 1' off the floor - although I do have young children that like to sit there. I was thinking of doing a nice rolldown shade to keep the heat out and maybe a valance above it to cover the hardware. Any suggestions on the shade and/or the valance? I have very traditional tastes and don't want it to be too fussy. My biggest concern is the type of shade and where to have it mounted.

Consider shades.  Roman shades are beautiful - available now at places like Target, Bed Bath & Beyond,  Linens & Things etc.  The shades (and you'd have to purchase multiple ones to accomodate the window) would be attached just above the window casing.  This mounting could be covered with a cornice or you may want to consider simple shades, "sheers" and draperies (that's pretty traditional).  Because it's a living room, avoid bamboo or wicker type shades and move into the more traditional feel.  Target, BB&B and L&T have good choices at good price points.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology