Decorating & Furniture/Large living room wall

Question
Julie,

My living room and dining room are open to one another and are only separated by an arch and pilliars from the dining room.  The dining room has a 9 ft ceiling, but the living room is open to the second story and has a 19 1/2 ft ceiling. My question is this...On the dining room side you see only the arch and there is about 6 or 7 inches of wall space before you see the ceiling...however on the living room side the wall goes from the arch (starting at around normal ceiling ht. 9 ft) all the way up to the 19 1/2 ft ceiling.  It is a huge blank wall and I don't know what to do with it?  Do you have any decorating solutions for what I should do with this huge wall?  Or, should I just leave it alone?  I'm just not sure what would look the best.

Answer
Hi Heidi,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, I have been ill.  NOW... onto your question!

There are many variables that could affect the best way to answer this question.  Is the wall in the living room that goes to over 19 feet visible from the an upstairs in another part of the house (like a balcony, etc?)  

You can go with something as simple as putting up moldings (called picture moldings) on the walls, and paint the moldings one color (like the rest of the trim in the room) and in the inside of the picture moldings, you could do a faux finish, such as a venetian plaster, or just another color.  You could put wall paper in those picture moldings and do the 'frame' of the picture moldings mimicking the
same arch of the doorway to the dining room.

You could also take a very simple approach and hang a very large tapestry on the wall.  This can also help with the sound in the room as the fabric of the tapestry will help absorb noise.

The point is that there are so many options and that the only way to make the best choice is to know some of the additional options that are available to you.  You may want to consider hiring a local interior decorator/designer to come in for a consultation to give you some ideas to make the best suggestion to fit YOUR home and your lifestyle!

I hope this answer helps to give you some ideas.  
Best of luck to you!  Thank you for writing.

Julie Henry
Julie's Interior Designs
Hackettstown, NJ
908-684-3900
www.juliesinteriordesigns.com

Decorating & Furniture

Julie Henry