Decorating & Furniture/Lighting

My husband and I are building our dream home and I need to pick out the lighting fixtures for the entire house. My question is, should the finishes on all the fixtures be the same.  
 Also, should your counter tops match the tile on the floor? I have traditional taste, but it is also very eclectic. I would also love to know about a decorating book that you would recomend.

Thank you,
         Carolyn Jordan

Thanks for your questions.  If you like Traditional styling, invest in a subscription to Traditional Home magazine.  You'll find award winning designs, great tips and beautiful photography.  There's no "one" decor book I could recommend but several good ones.  Look for books by designers you know.

You do not have to have the same finish on fixtures.  As a matter of fact, I would not recommend it.  Go for the design and finish you like best.  Counter tops and floors do not have to match either.  

Remember my number one rule is, if you "love it" and put it in your home, you're going to love the result.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology