Decorating & Furniture/Lighting Fixture Selection

I am doing a total remodel of the kitchen.  My new cabinets are wheaten stained maple.  The countertops are Cambria Windsor (black, grey, tan and cream), the floors are lightly stained cherry on red oak and the walls will be painted a blue/green/grey color.  All woodwork is painted an off white and the appliances are black, stainless steel or a combination of both.  My questions to you are what metals (SS, pewter, antique silver, etc.) can be used for my pendant lights and the ceiling fan bases?  The biggest question is what color of pendant (glass part) and glass shades on the ceiling fan light kit should I use?  We love the cobalt blue but are concerned that it won't blend/coordinate with the black, grey, cream in the counter top.  Would we be better off to use an alabaster, amber or white shades/pendants?  We are open to suggestions.

I'd opt for stainless steel for the bases, and I'd stay neutral -- off-white at least -- with the shades and pendants.  The cobalt is beautiful but is not a good blend with the countertop you describe.  You may want to consider clear/green glass as another option.

PS:  If shades are an option, they're simple enough to change seasonally or as the mood strikes!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology