Decorating & Furniture/Lighting

We are considering replacing all our lamps with ceiling cannister lighting in our living room/dining room area which connect. My thought is that we could then have more table room. We could have a lamp occasionally. What are the pros and cons? Thank you. Marti

Marti -

Great question.  Pros:  soft, mood lighting especially when controlled with a dimmer switch.  Space saving and economical.  Cons:  Not good for "tasks" like reading, food prep; any close work.  Often not "directional" meaning that you cannot change the direction the light shines - it's straight down or no where.  

There are new "track" lighting configurations available that include hallogen spots.  These are great for kitchens, dens etc., and are directional.  Task lighting is lower and more direct.  Long story short - a bit of both is the best scenario.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology