Decorating & Furniture/Lighting

Question
We are considering replacing all our lamps with ceiling cannister lighting in our living room/dining room area which connect. My thought is that we could then have more table room. We could have a lamp occasionally. What are the pros and cons? Thank you. Marti

Answer
Marti -

Great question.  Pros:  soft, mood lighting especially when controlled with a dimmer switch.  Space saving and economical.  Cons:  Not good for "tasks" like reading, food prep; any close work.  Often not "directional" meaning that you cannot change the direction the light shines - it's straight down or no where.  

There are new "track" lighting configurations available that include hallogen spots.  These are great for kitchens, dens etc., and are directional.  Task lighting is lower and more direct.  Long story short - a bit of both is the best scenario.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik