Decorating & Furniture/Living/Familyroom

Our living room area is 224". Split-level raised ranch problem, no full walls. Very difficult room. However, we purchased a black leather sofa, contemporary in style/and a wide screen tv which will go one the half wall adjacent to the front stairs and entrance foyer.  Would like a more masculine/contemporary color scheme. I also like Feng Shui, with it's simplicity and uncluttered lifestyle.  We have medium oak hardwood flooring.  I am open to a mulitple color scheme. Also, you can see the foyer over the half wall.   My daughter thinks gray-blue?  I don't want the room to be drab. Your input is greatly appreciated.  

Thank you,

Pat G.  

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your questions and for the detail you provided.  Staying contemporary, opt for a chaise lounge in a striking color (could be white, unless keeping white clean is an issue or brilliant red or yellow) for the room.  Gray-blue is nice, but is too "same" with black.  Select one vivid color (chartreuse green, red, stark white, yellow) and add that to the mix.  Carry that through in accessories along with chrome/silver and glass.

PS:  If a chaise doesn't suit your lifestyle, try adding two armless chairs in a vivid color.  OH - and if your walls are white, paint them a color.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology