Decorating & Furniture/Living Room Design

Living Room Design
Living Room Design  
Hi, Rachel!  I saw your information and I am hoping that you can help me.  I live in a 1960 small Saltbox-Colonial in New England.  WE are currently working on re-doing our Living Room.  My husband is replacing all the molding, trim, heat registers and a wall here and there.  He is also building some built-ins (photo attached).  Since you walk right into this space (I have no proper foyer), I was wondering how I could set up the furniture in this room?  I have attached a floor plan.  I should note a few things: ceilings are very low (7' 7"), so I would love to make it feel not so closed in; I hope to use this room as a library/game room (no TV); we have no furniture except for a wing-chair, which I don't love, but can recover; we usually move all the furniture out and put up tables at the Holidays; the windows are Orioles, so they go lower than regular windows; and we recently purchase a hall tree that is located next to the door, because I have no closet space for coats, hats, etc. for my kids.  We have architect plans for renovating the house (room by room) and they include putting up a wall to make it a proper foyer and adding a coat closet.  I am concerned that this will close in the space, but I really need a closet!  I hope I haven't bombarded you with too much information.  Thanks for any help you can provide.  Carolanne

I would place a sofa facing the fireplace and have it moved towards the middle so you create an entryway behind the sofa. When purchasing the sofa keep in mind that the back will be showing and make sure the back has a somewhat attractive look.  I would have a chair on each side of the fireplace. If creating a walkway is not a huge concern than I think it could also look nice having the furniture arrangement similar to the image that you have attached.

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book