Decorating & Furniture/Living Room/Dining Room Combo

Question
We currently have completely separate dining room and formal living room.  In fact, they are across the foyer from each other.  We will be moving to a new home that has the dining room open to the formal living room with mere "jut-outs" at the walls to distinguish each space.  Currently my living room has red couch and loveseat, strong Asian-themed accessories with touches of black.  My dining room set is a traditional oak with lots of carving on the china cabinet and the colors of the seats and valances (wood slat blinds) are taken from my china--mauve, pale blue, celedon green, etc.

How can I make the new living/dining room combo "flow" with out having to totally scrap either "theme"?  Dividers, draperies from the ceiling?  I like the idea of being able to open up the space when entertaining a crowd.

Thanks,
Lisa

Answer
Hi Lisa,

Great question.  Rather than changing themes, I'd suggest that you transport colors from one room to the other, i.e., by introducing some reds into the dining room, you will have cross-pollinated that color.  It doesn't have to be the "exact match" in red, as long as "a red" (and you might consider a reddish burgandy) is obvious in the dining area, you've accomplished the cross link.  I'd also add some of the more dominant colors from the dining room space into the living room.  The obvious choice would be to play up the green (since it's the color opposite of red).  You could do that with some throw pillows for the couch/love seat - even moving into the pale blue with a vase or two.

Draperies from the ceiling are actually an excellent idea, but again, should combine the color schemes as much as possible.  You can always create a "draw back" drapery treatment, so that when you do want everything open, it can be that.

I'd also suggest adding some live plants to deliniate the spaces as well.  A couple of well-placed palms in floor pots would be great near the wall separation.  

Hope this helps you.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik