Decorating & Furniture/Living room

Question
I have a very long living room. At one end I have a beautiful fireplace and bookshelves. I did pretty good with the front part of the room, but when I got to the back end I lost it.  The front door is in the center of the room. Just on the other side of the door I have matching chairs with a table, and a floor lamp, behind this there is nothing. What do I do with this bare space, It's too small for other chairs.  Thank you Diana

Answer
Hi Diana

This is difficult to answer without seeing the room but my suggestions for furnishing a small space as you describe might be:

A writing desk or bureau

A trunk or chest with a large picture above

A really large mirror with no furniture

As the area is near the front door, would it be suitable for a coat stand, slim-line hall table, umbrella pot, scarves and gloves hamper?

Does it look wrong without furniture there?  Sometimes less really is more and it may be that to not have any furniture there but to use one large picture or a selection of pictures of differing sizes (family photos for example)on that wall or to leave it plain but paint it in a different colour to the rest of the room might be the best option.

Kind regards,

Andrea  

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston