Decorating & Furniture/Living room too dark

Our living room is very dark. We have 12 inch saltillo tile thru-out & the end wall is entirely brick w/ a brick fireplace, mantle & hearth. Occupying the room is a 64 inch big screen tv (too big, but DH isn't going for a plasma just yet), an antique stereo/turntable, antique table (about 2 in. taller than sofa), mocha sofa, beige armchair, & there is also a non-negotiable forest green leather recliner.

We cannot get that brick covered over & new tile is a year away. HOW can I brighten the room & help it look more open?

I've included a pic, the green curtains beyond the couch are over wooden french doors we do not use. In the 12/05 pic you can see the beige armchair, it's where the Xmas tree was, the green recliner is in its spot in the 12/06 pic. As you can see from the pics, I can't make up my mind!

The room is about 12 x 18, I like the mediterranean look & I like things natural colored.

Add light colored accessories everywhere that you can.  Make sure all your draperies, curtains etc. are white or beige, add some uplights (they're $10 at K-Mart) to the corners of the room (a 20 watt bulb will work wonders) or behind plants, and add throw pillows (white or beige with browns and greens) to the sofa area.

I'd paint or whitewash the brick.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology