Decorating & Furniture/Living room / dining room decor

Question
-------------------------
Followup To
Question -
Hi Jenny:
I am trying to pull together the look of the living & dining rooms in my new home. The LR is 18'x15'(which also opens into a beautiful Florida room) & Ls into a 9'x10'DR. There is light oak flooring in both. I am trying to create a contemporary & soothing look. My color scheme is mainly in browns with accents of black & burgundy. Metallics are gold. I have an oversized sofa in  sueded taupe fabric w/ accent pillows in black & burgundy. A great chair in an abstract print fabric of different browns & cream, and oak cocktail and end tables w/ glass tops. I am also thinking of adding a modern looking chaise. My artwork is contemporary/figurative from the likes of Hayley Brown and Alfred Gockel with the same warm tones and lots of burgundy accents. The frames are large in gold/black. I am leaning toward black bases for the lamps. (possibly with burgundy shades?)
Now I'm stuck. What ideas do you have for lamps, wall color, window treatments and rugs? As I live in Florida I don't want to darken the room too much, but these white walls are awful. As for the DR...there's nothing in it yet. What could I do to pull it into the scheme of the LR?
Thanks for any ideas you have!

Answer -
Thanks for writing.  Consider a warm taupe for the walls (take your color cue from your furniture).  It's a great alternative to the oh so white, white and will be a great "backdrop" to your decor.  If you want something a bit different in the dining room, try something darker -- even a shade of burgundy.  Caution - it will make your guests eat more (because it's a shade of red!)

Lamps?  I'd probably opt for something like wrought iron black with taupe shades.  Window treatments should be based on what your privacy/light issues are.  If privacy is needed, use either shades/blinds etc. that can be opened/lowered when necessary, and "frame" the window(s) with fabric that will pull together all your colors in the room.  If you prefer contemporary looks, stay tailored in your style.  

For your dining room, try looking into the newer glass-top tables.  It might just fit the bill for you.

Jenny

Great ideas Jenny. Just yesterday I discovered a pair of lamps that are exactly as you suggested. I was also wanting a glass-top table for the dining room, so we are on the same wavelength. I had never considered a burgundy shade for the DR but I love the idea! The final decision that remains is area rugs for the living room. I'm afraid that a design might be too busy next to the chair and that a solid would be boring with the taupe couch. Any input as to the size, color & type of look I should be going for? Thanks for your help.

Answer
How about considering a rug with a block or geometric pattern?  Believe it or not, Home Depot and particularly Home Depot Expo if you're lucky enough to have one near you, has a great selection of rugs.  I'm sure Lowe's does as well.  Otherwise, check online at www.homedecorators.com.

I'd avoid a solid rug "unless" my draperies/window treatments were "BUSY".

Regards, Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik